A few random facts about our feline overlords
Cats rule the world, so we might as well try to understand their crazy ways.
1. Cats are the most popular pet in the United States. There are 88 million cats compared to 74 million dogs.
2. Cats sleep for more than 70% of their lives.
3. A group of cats is called a clowder.
4. A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. His name is Stubbs.
5. Contrary to popular belief, most adult cats are lactose intolerant. So stop giving them milk!
6. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by more than a third, researchers found.
7. Cats have 32 muscles that control the outer ear while humans have only 6.
8. The oldest known example of a human keeping a cat as a pet was traced to Neolithic village of Shillourokambos over 9,000 years ago.
9. Like many other carnivores, cats have a genetic mutation that makes them unable to taste sweets.
10. Mymains Stewart Gilligan the longest domestic cat ever measured – 48.5 inches when fully stretched out.
11. Towser the Mouser, a long-haired tortoiseshell female, was the resident feline pest control expert at Glenturret distillery from 1963 to 1987. She holds the world record for an estimated 28,899 mouse kills.
12. A cat inherited a US$13 million fortune from its owner in Italy, becoming the richest cat in the world.
13. Your cat recognizes your voice but just acts too cool to care (probably because they are).
14. Female cats are typically right-pawed while male cats are typically left-pawed.
15. Cats make more than 100 different sounds whereas dogs make around 10.
16. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s — more similar than to a dog’s.
17. It was illegal to slay cats in ancient Egypt, in large part because they provided the great service of controlling the rat population.
18. Isaac Newton is credited with inventing the cat door.
19. Cats use their whiskers to detect if they can fit through a space.
20. Cat owners who are male tend to be luckier in love, as they are perceived as more sensitive.
21. Cats can change their meow to manipulate a human. They often imitate a human baby when they need food, for example.
22. Cats are pretty much the best animal ever. (It is a fact... don't bother looking it up. Just trust us.)
See more cat facts here!
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
This is why your cat hates plants
What happens when you close the door on a cat (comic)
Little girl reading her cat a bedtime story is the cutest thing you'll see
There's now a book written just for cats by a cat...
She asked which cat had been in the shelter the longest, brings home deaf toothless senior love bug
Is it okay to carry a cat like a baby?
Trainer suggested a spray bottle to get her cat off the table... cat hilariously defiant
Cat has huge sneeze and it's adorable
Lions fatally maul poachers who broke into reserve to hunt rhinos
Cat who saved owner's life by keeping her awake when she suffered a blood clot is given award