A few random facts about our feline overlords
Cats rule the world, so we might as well try to understand their crazy ways.
1. Cats are the most popular pet in the United States. There are 88 million cats compared to 74 million dogs.
2. Cats sleep for more than 70% of their lives.
3. A group of cats is called a clowder.
4. A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. His name is Stubbs.
5. Contrary to popular belief, most adult cats are lactose intolerant. So stop giving them milk!
6. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by more than a third, researchers found.
7. Cats have 32 muscles that control the outer ear while humans have only 6.
8. The oldest known example of a human keeping a cat as a pet was traced to Neolithic village of Shillourokambos over 9,000 years ago.
9. Like many other carnivores, cats have a genetic mutation that makes them unable to taste sweets.
10. Mymains Stewart Gilligan the longest domestic cat ever measured – 48.5 inches when fully stretched out.
11. Towser the Mouser, a long-haired tortoiseshell female, was the resident feline pest control expert at Glenturret distillery from 1963 to 1987. She holds the world record for an estimated 28,899 mouse kills.
12. A cat inherited a US$13 million fortune from its owner in Italy, becoming the richest cat in the world.
13. Your cat recognizes your voice but just acts too cool to care (probably because they are).
14. Female cats are typically right-pawed while male cats are typically left-pawed.
15. Cats make more than 100 different sounds whereas dogs make around 10.
16. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s — more similar than to a dog’s.
17. It was illegal to slay cats in ancient Egypt, in large part because they provided the great service of controlling the rat population.
18. Isaac Newton is credited with inventing the cat door.
19. Cats use their whiskers to detect if they can fit through a space.
20. Cat owners who are male tend to be luckier in love, as they are perceived as more sensitive.
21. Cats can change their meow to manipulate a human. They often imitate a human baby when they need food, for example.
22. Cats are pretty much the best animal ever. (It is a fact... don't bother looking it up. Just trust us.)
See more cat facts here!
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
How to safely use a cat harness
Being your cat's biggest supporter
Happy 4th of July!
Life is so unfair
Piano lessons with Minnie
Mighty House Lioness Hunts Wild Mosquito!
Do not disturb kitty